sobota, 10 października 2020

Used to (do)

'I used to do something' is past. There is no present form. 


Something used to happen = it happened regularly in the past, but no longer happens:

- I used to play tennis a lot, but I don't play very often now.

- David used to spend a lot of money on clothes. These days he can't afford it.

- 'Do you go to the cinema much?' 'Not now, but I used to.' (= I used to go)


We also use used to ... for things that were true, but are not true any more:

- This building is now a furniture shop. It used to be a cinema.

- I used to think Mark was unfriendly, but now I realised he's a very nice person.

- I've started drinking tea recently. I never used to like it before.

- Nicole used to have very long hair when she was a child.


The normal question form is did (you) used to ... ?

The negative form is didn't use to ... (used not to ... is also possible).


Exercise 1

Complete the sentences with use(d) to + a suitable verb

1. Diane doesn't travel much now. She ............................ a lot, but she prefers to stay at home these days.

2. Liz ................................. a motorbike, but last year she sold it and bought a car.

3. We came to live in London a few years ago. We ...................................... in Leeds.

4. I rarely eat ice-cream now, but I ............................... it when I was a child.

5. Jim ..................................... my best friend, but we aren't good friends any longer.


ZAPRASZAMY WSZYSTKICH ZAINTERESOWANYCH PODNOSZENIEM SWOICH KOMPETENCJI JĘZYKOWYCH DO ROZWIĄZANIA ZADAŃ A NASTĘPNIE SPRAWDZENIA ICH POPRAWNOŚCI NA ZAJĘCIACH W FUNDACJI "WARTO ŻYĆ" ZGODNIE Z HARNOMOGRAMEM ZAJĘĆ.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Mówisz i masz - DZIĘKUJEMY!!!

W dniu 23.01.2021r. odbyła się konferencja podsumowująca działania w ramach projektu: „Mówisz i masz” finansowanego ze środków Komisji Europ...